Thursday, July 15, 2010

Cada persona crea su propia necesidad (Each person creates their own need)



During our time here, we have had the opportunity to speak with different members in the community. The area we are staying is called San Luis, and within that there is a cooperative group of 24 farms/families that work together towards a common goal. The name of this place is called Fina La Bella, or beautiful farm. (Things are so much prettier in espanol!) Anyhoo, there are these sentiments that we keep hearing about that are starting to take hold within me. One of them being "Each person creates their own needs".

This phrase came from a man named Don Gilbert who works on land that has been to his family to use. I say that instead of the idea that he owns the land, because that concept is totally foreign to the people here. How can we own the land something that is so much greater than all of us and a gift from the Lord? Either way, in this line of thinking, Don Gilbert shared a sentiment that is the title of this blog. Don Gilbert stated that he doesn't wear things like gold chains because he doesn't need them. For example, he says if I take a shower and lose that gold chain then I have created the need for that object.

I write this because recently my camera broke. Yes, let's all have a moment of silence.



Ok, so I am definitely sad that my camera broke, but in the Costa Rican line of thinking, I don't really NEED my camera, it's just something that I want to capture the journey.

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that the camera broke :( You are doing a fine job with your blog and it is something that you can keep forever. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's ok. Everyone else has pictures too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am waiting for the pictures from the beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you will prob have to wait a little longer because that is the last place we're going so it will be later

    ReplyDelete