Monday, July 5, 2010

Todo empieza con comida (It all begins with food)



This photo officially shows my first meal in Costa Rica. During our 4 hour car ride to get to the UGA campus down here, we stopped at una tienda (store)/pit stop area to grab some grub. I was happy to use my Spanish on some words that I do know: arroz (rice), frijoles negros (black beans) and to see that the water is crisp and stomach friendly. Also, the food was quite delicious. I must say that if things continue to go this way, my palate will be dancing by the end of the trip.

I am coming to realize that for the most part, people around the world enjoy the same foods but with different seasonings. Rice is a staple for many as well as mi favorito, chicken. Additionally, I think it will be interesting to see the way in which people use food as a unifying piece and the way that it works as a social construct in other societies.

2 comments:

  1. remember the first time i took you for indian food and i told you that most of the world eats rice and chicken. it's just a matter of sauce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, I'm not sure that I remember this factoid...or maybe I thought that it was just something I made up...but ok sister, thanks for contributing to my cultural awakening!

    ReplyDelete